Personal Development Plan
· Goals
Personal
goals in the short, medium & long term: As a photography student, my short
goal is to finish my studies successfully. Hence, my medium goal is to go back
to Cyprus and start working and gaining experience in practicing photography to
my father’s photo studio. Finally, my long term goal is to take my father’s
business and keep the high quality of his work.What
I want to do with my studies: My studies are offering me the knowledge as well
as the experience of practicing and developing my skills related with
photography. Hence by the end of my studies I hope to have gained the
experience and knowledge required as a starting point of my career as a
photographer.Skills
I need to achieve success in the area of the industry that I am interested in:
As mentioned above, my dream is to take over my father’s photo studio. As part
of the job there, I will have to capture events as well as making photo shoots
for magazines. Therefore I will have to develop my skills in wedding
photography as well as events photography. Additionally I will have to gain knowledge
related to lighting, editing, to the studio equipment. Finally I will have to
practice and experiment with different ways of photo shooting in order to
provide the best results for my client’s requests.Attributes,
skillsets, knowledge or training that i might need to achieve this: Of course,
fulfilling my studies is not the only way required that would prepare me to
take over a whole business. After my studies, I will have to practice and
follow my father’s directions on how each requirement of the business should be
done. How to work in a wedding or an event, how to capture a model, how to get
prepared and of course how to edit and present my work to the clients. The
studies are essential to my career however the training by my father is also
important for my development.Goals
in my career, in my personal life, in my work life blend/balance: It is sure
that my goal is to take over the photo studio in Cyprus. This will be my work.
Nevertheless, me as Stelios and as photographer i am planning to make the round
of Cyprus with my camera. I love capturing the nature of Cyprus and I love
showing my work to exhibitions and competitions. Therefore, at this point I am
prepared that the photo studio will be my job but it would not be the only
thing that would distinguishes me as a photographer.What
do you want to achieve in your chosen career? Why do you want to achieve this?:As
long as I remember I wanted my father’s work. I admire his work and love
photography. He was able to provide for us and to make us love art and hence my
sister is an artist my brother musician and me a photographer. I want to make
him proud and to continue his success of his business. It might be said that I
am influenced by my father in choosing photography however I know that is not
just an influence. He made me love photography not just to be influenced by him
neither to be the one to take over his business.
·Reality
What
have you done specifically so far to achieve your goal?: Once I decided my
goal, I started working in my father’s photo studio as well as to taking
photography courses in Cyprus. Later and after finishing army I came to UK in
order to study photography. At this point I am in my second year of my degree
and of course when I am in Cyprus I work to the photostudio and I occasionally
go to “photographic adventures and
explorations” with my father or alone in different places in Cyprus.
What challenges have you met and overcome?: I am not sure that I
had challenges related to photography however many other personal aspect of my
life affected my progress. For example firstly I was doing a foundation for a
year in Cyprus in order to be able to come to UK for studies. In fact I paid
5000 euro for nothing since it was not recognizable in UK universities.
Nevertheless, I overcame this and started over a foundation in UK. At that
point I failed a lesson and the university did not realize it and I started my
photography course and during my degree I had to make both photography and
foundation at the same time. The most challenging part was the university’s
process of concluding in doing the together rather the practice of doing them
together. Generally, I did not had any
great challenges that affected me for achieving my goal and I am grateful for
that.What other challenges do you expect to meet?: The most
challenges that I am expecting in short term are related to my studies and to
the projects as I do not want to fail. My medium challenge is to be able and
capable of working in a photo studio and learning easily and fast the
requirements of doing so. My long term challenges are also related to my job as
photographer. Will I be able to keep a business and to provide the best quality
of work? Will I be able to practice photography as I want to? Will I be able to
overcome the economic crisis in Cyprus? Will I be able to expand the business?What are your short/medium/long term priorities?: My short term
priority is to pass the lessons and to get my degree. My medium term priority
is to take over the photo studio and
finally my long term priority is to be a successful photographer.
How are external forces affecting progress? : The external
forces for me and as a Cypriot are related with money. With this economic
crisis my studies are affected as the photo studio is affected as the people of
Cyprus are affected and this goes on and on. What I mean is that if it wasn’t
for the student loan I wouldn’t be able to continue my studies without working.
Moreover, apart for the money other external forces that are affecting my
progress are related to some personal health problems that a close person of
mine is suffering from and hence I am affected. Not only in the time that I
spent but also psychologically.My Skills: Since I set my goals I have developed my skills in
photography and especially since I started my studies. I have learned the
essentials of practicing photography and I became familiar with many aspects of
photography. My creativity has been developed and though the researches I had
the chance to be influenced by the work of great photographers. Apart from
photography I developed my language skills and my skills related in working
with others.
· Options
Do you have a first choice option, second choice option?: My
first choice is my goal. To take over the photo studio. My second choice is to
make exhibitions. My third choice is to work as a photojournalist and my final
choice is to work in someone else’s photo studio as an employee.Generally in relation to my options I am grateful enough that I
have people to guide me and help me. First of all my father, secondly my uncle
who is a photographer too and finally my sister who is now successful as an
artist in Cyprus and she has her own tattoo studio and exhibits her paintings
and sculptures. Hence I could come easily in contact with people that could
help me in developing my work and in finding a job. In Cyprus things are easy
when you have people to help because of the small population. However, I just
need the chances to prove myself I do not seek the easy road. I want to be
recognized for the quality of my work in whatever I am doing. Hence I will
never stop taking part in worldwide photography competitions and exhibitions.I want to finish my studies and I want to gain as much possible
knowledge related to photography and to experiment with different ways and equipment
and places. I want to make my father proud and I want to become a successful
photographer able in having a big business but also in capturing aspects and
themes that I love and that would identify my. I will take every chances and
opportunities given to me in order to achieve my goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment